CoppaFeel! is the first breast cancer charity in the UK to solely create awareness amongst young people, with the aim of instilling the knowledge and tools they need to get to know their bodies. We like to talk about a serious message in a light-hearted way, empowering people to start healthy habits for life, so that everyone can have the best possible chance of surviving breast cancer.
Our community are important to us and we’re committed to protecting the personal information you give us. Please read this page to understand how we use and protect your data. If you’re looking to manage your cookies preferences, you can do so on our Cookie Settings page.
The processing of your information is carried out by or on behalf of the data controller CoppaFeel!. When we refer to “we” or “us” on this page, we’re talking about: CoppaFeel!, which is a registered charity in England and Wales (1132366), and Scotland (SC045970) & a company limited by guarantee (06974733) and. CoppaFeel! Trading Ltd, which is our trading subsidiary (company number 10707836). CoppaFeel! is registered under the Data Protection Act 2018 (registration reference: ZA113845), as is CoppaFeel! Trading Ltd (ZA836425).
Last updated September 2023
When do we collect your personal information?
We have legitimate interest to engage in activities which help us further our aims as a charity, but we will only collect and use your personal information where we have justification to under Data Protection law. We will collect your data for the following reasons:
You’ve opted to hear from CoppaFeel!: We love sharing the latest news from CoppaFeel! and talking about our work to spread the chest-checking message. If you’ve given us consent to contact you for this purpose, we might send you information about our activities including health information, opportunities to help support us through volunteering, fundraising and events or news on our wider work to your email, phone or postal address (depending on the option you chose). You can change your communication preferences at any time here.
When we process your financial transactions: We have a legal obligation to keep the data you give us when making financial transactions to process Gift Aid claims, to maintain records for audit purposes and to help prevent fraud.
To provide you with information, services or products you’ve requested: If you buy something from our shop or request awareness or fundraising materials via webforms on our website, we will use the personal information you give us to fulfil our contractual obligations and fulfil your request. We may also keep a record of these requests on our database.
Managing relationships with our volunteers and fundraisers: If you are volunteering or fundraising for us we have legitimate interest to use the personal information you’ve provided to manage our ongoing relationship with you. We might contact you with information on your event, fundraising tips, training hints, volunteer guidance or other relevant information that might be useful to you.
When share your story with us: Young people are much more likely to feel empowered by stories of other young people who have been affected by breast cancer, so we offer the opportunity for you to share your real story or experience. Your story may be used in impact reporting, media interviews or funding opportunities but we won’t share identifiable details without your consent.
Surveys: We may ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, as part of our legitimate interest to understand more about how people interact with our services and what they would like us to do more of. When you complete a survey we collect your name, email address and survey responses. We will always respect your rights when we’re relying on legitimate interest to use your data and consider the impact it will have on you.
Email correspondence: If you contact us, we will use the information you give to us to handle your request, enquiry or complaint. We may also keep a record of the correspondence on our database.
Legal and Regulatory Obligations: Sometimes we’re bound by law to process your data (for example, comply with finance and tax laws), and sometimes we might need to use your data to ensure we meet our regulatory requirements as a charity (for example, to make reports to the Charity Commission).
Boob Bot: CoppaFeel!’s Boob Bot is designed to provide you with personalised information about getting to know your boobs or pecs. The Boob Bot is hosted by third party processor Spectrm Publishing UG, based in Germany, via Facebook messenger. Please see below for more information on how we share data responsibility with third parties, and outside of the UK. As a Facebook Messenger user, you will have agreed to Facebook’s terms and conditions for use of Messenger, you can read more about how Meta look after your data here.
If you use the Boob Bot we will analyse the information you submit in order to provide you with personalised responses and to improve your user experience. We also receive Data given to us by Facebook, called ‘Facebook-Page Scooped ID’ (PSID). This means that we can access the first name and surname that you use on Facebook, the time-zone and language setting for the region you live in and, if you’ve specified your gender in Facebook, we’ll be able to see that too.
Because you may provide sensitive health data within the Bot, we also ask for your consent for us to process your data. You can withdraw this consent at any time by letting us know via the Bot or contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or CoppaFeel!, Unit 4 Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3HA. If you’d like CoppaFeel! to delete the data you’ve given us via the Boob Bot you can do so at any time, by clicking on ‘privacy’ in the bottom menu, and selecting ‘delete my data’. This will erase all the data CoppaFeel! has received about you via the Boob Bot. However, this does not delete the data you have given Facebook permission to use, such as the PSID.
The Self-Checkout: CoppaFeel!’s Self-Checkout is a web app designed to provide you with personalised information about getting to know your chest. It offers breast awareness information and guides you through the stages to getting comfortable checking your chest.
We work with a third-party technology company called Huxley to provide access to the Self-Checkout. Huxley are responsible for maintaining the Self-Checkout, making sure the webapp works, and ensuring that the personal data you share is kept safe. The Self-Checkout is hosted in the UK and your personal information won’t leave the UK.
When you use the Self-Checkout you will be asked to provide some information about your personal circumstances, such as whether you are pregnant. We use this personal data to provide you with information that is relevant to you within the web app. We do not make a record of your answers, we never link the information to your personal profile or to any other information that could be used to identify you.
You can ask CoppaFeel! to delete the personal data you’ve given us via the Self-Checkout at any time by contacting email@example.com.
If you ask us to set a reminder in the calendar on your phone, an ICSn Internet Calendar Scheduling (ICS) file will be downloaded and automatically uploaded to your calendar. ICS files are a type of file most email and calendar programmes use to enable you to publish and share calendar information on the web and over email, but we will not ask you for any personal data or download any software onto your phone or desktop. You can delete the reminder this from your calendar at any time.
What about sensitive information?
We recognise the value in encouraging a diverse range of perspectives, skills, experience and knowledge at CoppaFeel!. Our charity is committed to the positive promotion of equality, diversity and inclusion in our staff, volunteer programmes and projects.
In order to monitor our progress in this area we may collect personal information of job applicants and volunteers using our Equal Opportunities Monitoring form. Some of the personal information that you may share with us may be very sensitive, including what is legally known as special categories of personal data. This is personal information could be relating to your racial or ethnic origin, your health, religious or sexual orientation, sex life, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs. We lawfully collect this data as it is of substantial public interest. Submitting this data is entirely optional, is anonymous and is in no way linked to any application you have made. Staff at CoppaFeel! have had training on how to responsibly look after special category data.
Who do we share your personal information with?
We will only share your personal information with third parties when we are legally required to, or with third parties that we have appointed to work on our behalf when we have a legal basis to do so and they are under contractual obligations as data processors to only use your information as we instruct and for no other purposes. We will never share any personal information to third parties for their own purposes.
Examples of how we may share your data:
- Regulatory bodies and/or law enforcement authorities to comply with a regulatory requirement, for example, making returns to HMRC or reports to the Charity Commission; as part of the transfer of our assets, for example if CoppaFeel! merges or collaborates (on a temporary or permanent basis) with another organisation.
- Health and safety or law enforcement authorities when we believe an individual may be in danger.
- Financial providers or fundraising websites assisting us with processing transactions.
- Professional advisers and service providers such as accountant, auditors, HR and/or legal advisors.
- Companies who deliver services on our behalf such as our text reminders, Boob Bot, Self-Checkout, fulfilment of good, distribution of awareness and fundraising materials.
- IT and other technical support companies to administer services and enforce any terms and conditions or agreements that may apply.
- We use Meta’s Facebook Pixel and the Conversions API. If you are registered with a Facebook service, Facebook Pixel and Conversions API track information about your visits to our website or interactions with our ads to enable us to display relevant CoppaFeel! related advertising to you on other websites. This data is encrypted and not used for any other purposes. You can read more information about how your data is used under Cookies below.
- Third party agencies sometimes help us to establish the most valuable audiences for our fundraising, education and advertising campaigns. We may use your information to analyse the demographic of people we are reaching with our information, services and products, as we have a legitimate interest to understand more about how people interact with us. We can use this identify people with similar characteristics to you that we can spread our message to in the future.
If you prefer that we do not share your information with third-party platforms, you can contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org or post at CoppaFeel!, Unit 4 Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3HA or by adjusting your settings on social media, apps, and advanced TV platforms.
How do we look after your personal information?
We take looking after your personal information seriously and take measures to protect your data against unlawful access and accidental loss or damage. These measures include:
- Regular training for the CoppaFeel! team on responsible data handling
- When necessary, disposing of or deleting your personal information in a secure way
- Working with our IT providers to ensure they maintain appropriate IT security
- Sometimes third parties that work on our behalf process information outside the European Economic Area (EEA), in countries that may not be subject to the Data Protection laws as here in the UK. In these instances, we assess the adequacy of their data protect standards and if necessary, ensure there is a contract in place that requires them to handle your personal information in line with UK privacy regulations. We are committed to looking after your personal information, do get in touch with us on email@example.com if you would like to know more about how we look after your data.
How long do we keep your personal information for?
- We don’t keep your personal information for longer than needed. Generally, the required retention period for any personal information will be 7 years from the date of us receiving that personal information. Sometimes legal obligations mean we have to keep data for longer (for example, in the event that legal proceedings apply to the personal information), or we’re legally required to delete information after a shorter retention period.
- Our text reminder service is a vital health service and you shall continue to receive text reminders until you choose to unsubscribe. You can unsubscribe by ‘COPSTOP’ to 82228 or entering your mobile number at www.sto.pm/coppafeel/ and your personal information will be deleted.
- Where you have given consent us to have your personal information, such as to receive email updates of our latest news we shall continue to use it for that purpose for two years from the last date on which you have interacted with us, at which point we will ask you again if you wish to continue your consent. If at that point you do not respond we will cease to use your personal information for that purpose.
Cookies and similar technologies
If you decide cookies aren’t for you, you can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings in your browser (see your browser help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies is likely to affect the functionality of this website and others. If you don’t want to disable cookies but would like to manage how they’re used, our cookie settings page provides additional ways to control what cookies you receive on our site.
Our websites may include links to websites run by other organisations. CoppaFeel! is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other websites so please do read their privacy policies carefully.
Your rights: How you can access, correct or delete your personal data
For more information or to exercise any of the rights below please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by post at CoppaFeel!, Unit 4 Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3HA.
Under the Data Protection law Act 2018 you have the following rights:
- You have a right to know about how we use and protect your personal information, (as set out in this policy).
- You have the right to access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a ‘subject access request’. Please be aware that you will be asked to provide proof of identification.
- You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate data or incomplete data we hold on you. You may do so on our website here or by contacting us by email email@example.com or by post at CoppaFeel!, Unit 4 Bickels Yard, 151-153 Bermondsey Street, London, SE1 3HA.
- You always have the right to unsubscribe from any service where we rely on your consent for holding your personal information.
In certain circumstances you also have the following rights:
- You have the right to restrict our use of your personal information and the right to object to your personal information being processed in certain ways.
- You have the right to ask us to delete your personal information. Unless we have reasonable grounds to refuse to delete your personal information, we will securely delete the data in question within one month. The personal information may continue to exist in certain backups, but we will take steps to ensure that we honour your wishes and treat it as deleted.
- You have the right to ask us to transfer your personal information to another person or organisation.